Saturday, May 9, 2009

Facebook/iPhone App Idea #01 - Searchable GeoStatus

Where are you & what are you doing?

Back in my day, Pluto was a planet, and Facebook didn't have pictures! However, it did have one neat feature that I just remembered: one day in April/May it asked the simple question, "what are you doing this summer?" A plurality of my friends answered, and I could compare what everyone was doing. Let's take this a step further.

My idea takes this to the next level. Now that I'm concentrating on research this summer I will not have to attend class; which leaves me a lot more time to travel and do fun things in various cities. My problem is that I am not sure which of my friends are also traveling, and which are stuck in town for the duration.

The app will allow a user to publish where he or she is located, what they are doing, and perhaps even how available they are. This is sort of like an extended status update (however, the "status" has recently been replaced with Twitter-like "What's on your mind" updates).

Examples include:
  • Tallahasse / "Exam week" / Not even close to being free / 1 Week
  • Tallahassee / "FINALLY FINISHED" / Hit me up; I'm passed out on the floor @ Poor Pauls / 3 days
  • Melbourne / "Surfing" / Mostly Free / 1 Weekend
  • New York City / "Vacáish" / Open / 1 Week
  • Tallahassee / "Recovering/Work" / Mostly Busy / 2 weeks
This information will allow your friends in any given location to search and see if you are available to hang out, while enabling you to see who happens to be in the same town as you on sporadic trips home/abroad.

Now to program it... Give me a holler if you're into app development.

See also: Where am I?, Frends GPS, Google Latitude, Twittelator, Loopt, Where

Addressing concerns: App will make use of a sophisticated "Off" / "Unpublish" button. 3 Lols to numerous comments left on Facebook app walls

No comments: