Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tetris is Aware


I am almost certain that Tetris software is not only cognizant, but I swear that it's also sentient. There are many times when sequences of pieces cannot possibly be part of any random combination
  • Every once in a while it'll throw me a bone and send a few good pieces my way when I get out of a particularly difficult situation
  • It teases me after level 12 by sending groups of I-pieces () - almost to say, "Ha! Bet you didn't expect these NOW!"
  • It knows it's time for bed and starts sending ridiculous sequences of only S and Z pieces ( ) when I've been waiting patiently for an I and there are no good locations for such pieces
I am also beginning to suffer from the Tetris Effect - where one begins to see shapes and attempt to solve lines, away from the game. The first time I had this happen was when I played a lot of competitive The Next Tetris with some friends back in high school.

2 comments:

Justin DLC said...

Do you have an old-school link-up for the original GameBoy? Jess and I both have original GameBoys, and we both have Tetris, but I've never had that link-up cord. WANT.

We need to have a Tetris tournament sometime. I know what you're talking about with the "not randomly selected pieces" thing.

Justin said...

Level 8 sequence: 5 S-pieces, 3 O-pieces, 3 more S-pieces. Tetris was obviously too tired to play after Waterworks @ 2 am.